Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My City

      Wow, where do I start?  My city is my home but I feel trapped here but at the same time it is familiar to me.  Most of my life I wanted to live in North Carolina.  I love it there the beaches have white sand and the water is so pure and clear.  Nature is my heart because I am in awe of  how God made such beautiful things.  Anyway, in 2006 I visited the city of Charlotte in North Carolina.  I swear as soon as I hit downtown Charlotte the city spoke to me, I never had this happen to me I have traveled to many cities and loved them all.  It seems as anything is better than Rochester.  I did my research because that's what I love to do and I found that Charlotte is on the top ten list for black professionals.  So this was like a conformation to me to move there.  Also, to top it off one of my best friends lived there and she knows the city very well so I would have her to guide me through this city.  The problem is that I love my family especially my mom because she is my rock and I don't want to leave her.   Also, now I have a niece and a God-child, I want to watch them grow up.  However, this city frustrates me I love the city but we don't have a vibrant downtown. For instance, to go shopping, to go to some of my favorite restaurants, movies, bowling except for theatre I have to travel to the suburbs.  I feel that a lot of people my age don't share the same interests as me and are concentrating on insignificant, frivolous things.  But if I travel to Baltimore, NYC, Washington DC, and Charlotte I see people my age thirsting for knowledge, new ideas, and culture.   I wish my city had this, I do say that Rochester tries but the turn out and and response is disappointing.  So I want to be living in a city that has book clubs, Broadway shows, concerts that showcase real artists, history museums, and real poetry nights.  A city where my people are sharpening each other to be better not trying to destroy each other due to jealousy.  I know every city has violence, hatred and jealous but most cities have this pocket of hope who are young artists, intellectuals, entrepreneurs, activists, etc.
     So the question that I ask myself on a daily basis is should I stay or should I go?  Should I be the catalyst to start change?  Then I think if I start it would the young adults be interested in something like this?  So I have decided to take a hiatus to Virginia for a couple of weeks in the new year to gather my thoughts and decide what I want to do. To be honest I am scared of change and failure because if I wasn't I would pack and move today.  That is why Virginia is happening once I do that I might go down to North Carolina and stay. But I am going to take that first step and God will do the rest.  I could go on forever about my city about how the dating scene is horrible, the culture sometimes is not rich, the winters are too much and the taxes are ridiculous.   Unfortunately, doors having been closing so I think it is my time to leave.  I love my friends and family but technology is great we can Skype, email, facebook and talk on the phone until I figure this out.  Sorry I know that was harsh but I have been living my life for others and now it is time for Brighteyes to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment